5 Best Putters for Beginners 2023
What are the 5 best golf putters for beginners in 2023, What will improve your game in 2023? Everything you need to know about putting and choosing the best putter to improve your golf game. I’m Craig and here at Fun Golf we’re committed to helping you get started in Golf and improve your game. Even mid handicappers can use these putters and you’ll see improvements!
Be sure to check out my Instagram account and follow me for more golf tips, equipment advice and golf content @fungolfuk
The Best Putters for Beginners: The Results
We’ve researched the market and have come up with a list of the 5 best putters for beginners. Even mid handicappers can use these putters. Whatever your age, gender or skill level we’ve selected our best 5 golf putters for you to choose. I was recently on a Facebook Q&A session with Putting Guru, and coach to top Professionals, Phil Kenyon. I asked Phil which was the best putter for Beginners, his response, “anything from Odyssey!”. Therefore you won’t be surprised to see my top two recommendations are Odyssey putters. My last two putters have been Odyssey and I find them amazing.
Have a look at the list below, then read further down for my reviews and more details.
5. Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple Track Putter (Premium choice)
The Best Putters for Beginners: The Detail
- A really well balanced putter that looks great.
- The standard grip is a nice size and very comfortable for average sized hands.
- I like the head weight, the way it lines up and the face has a controlled feel and a consistent sound with all types of balls.
- It is easy to keep the putter face on the line and to make solid contact.
- This putter also comes with a headcover.
- Easy to line up. The weight of head makes it easy to putt with and keep on line.
- Has a nice set of lines on the top that are excellent for getting good alignment.
- Well balanced putter with the right weight when swinging, does not let putter twist in your hands when striking the ball.
- Feels very smooth coming off the putter face, with good control over distances.
- Good weight ,well balanced and well made and easy to line up.
- Due to it being heavier at the base less effort is required in your stroke and the ball tends to stay more on line.
- Good to look down on and gives you confidence.
- Nice soft feel when striking the ball.
- Comes with a head cover, perfect for a beginner golfer or those on a budget.
- Great putter, easy to line up, helps with accuracy on longer putts.
- Heavier putter head which helps with the motion through the ball.
- The Jumbo grip gives a good solid feel when holding the putter.
- Does not come with a head cover for the club.
5. Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple Track Putter (Premium choice)
- Amazing feel off the face of the putter. Extremely well balanced and perfect grip.
- The putter has a great weight and balance to it.
- Perfect when used with the triple track Callaway golf balls (link below).
- The roll off the face feels excellent. This helps with longer putts.
- The most expensive putter on our list, but certainly one of the best putters.
Best Putting Accessories
Why not have a look at some putting accessories to help your putting. The triple track ball markers and golf balls are excellent accompaniments to improve your short game.
Putter Buying Guide – What do you need to know?
- Pay attention to the length of your putter. A 34- inch shaft usually comes as standard, but that might not suit your height or style. I use a 33-inch shaft for example so that I can keep my hands low during my putting stroke.
- The lines and cosmetics on the top of your putter are not just there to look nice, they also affect and support aim. Try different designs out to find out which one you putt better with.
- A thicker putter grip is said to improve feel and reduce any unwanted wrist action. They aren’t for everyone so again well worth trying a few different grip sizes out.
What Putter do I use?
Up until last week my putter of choice was the Odyssey StrokeLab. I found the balance amazing and the putter face was always really square at impact. I previously had a tendency to pull my putts, but once I started putting with this putter that issue became a thing of the past.
However, last week I was lucky enough to win a competition and the prize was a Scotty Cameron Phantom X Putter. This is by far the best putter I’ve ever used. The weighting is perfect and the ball rolls so smoothly off the face. I’ve found I’ve been able to judge the distance and the line so much more consistently than with previous putters.
At nearly £400 this won’t be for everyone but if you’re looking to invest in a club which will retain it’s value and improve your game I would certainly recommend any of the Phantom X range of putters!
Why do I need a good Putter?
The importance of the putter is that about 45% of your score is generated on the green, so using one of the best putters for beginners is essential. You use your putter more than anything else in your golf bag. If you want to improve your game and hole more putts you will need to make an investment in a well balanced putter with which you feel comfortable.
The putter has a fairly short barrel (or shaft) compared to other clubs. This particular type of club head is very heavy so that you can easily hit the ball in the center with the desired force. The impact zone is only inclined at a few degrees. Unlike other clubs that have a wider impact angle the putter has a particular impact angle. This is because the ball on the green does not have to go up, but just to roll into the hole.
What is Putting in Golf?
Putting in golf means making a shot called a Putt, to get the ball into the hole. This shot is performed on the green. To achieve this shot, a particular type of golf club is used: The Putter. Here at Fun Golf we recommend that even as a beginner, you invest in a good putter. Check out our guide below for the best putters for beginners.
What are the different types of golf putter?
- Mallet Putter
- Blade Putter
- Cavity Backed Putter
What is a Mallet Putter?
This type of putter is one of the best putters for beginners and golfers because it gives a visual aid when lining up their shots. Most mallet golf putters look like heavily curved golf clubs, like a half moon shape. Their weight distribution has been carefully crafted by golf equipment experts.
Some golf putters available have their weights placed on the tip and heel of the club head. This makes the golf putter weight better evenly distributed over the entire surface of the golf putter. This is good to look for when searching for the best putters for beginners.
The weight distribution of the putter, together with a visual alignment aid, makes it the best putter for beginners as it gives a greater margin of error.
What is a Blade Putter?
The head of the blade putter is the most recognizable type of club and the best choice of the golfer. The sides of this putter feature a weighting design, making it the best golf putter for players with good balance and a steady putting swing making it one of the best putters for beginners.
What is a Cavity Backed Putter?
If you want a putter that is not too curved and not too straight, a putter with a cavity might be the choice for you.
A cavity backed putter, like the popular mallet golf putter also evenly distributes weight over the surface of the putter. A cavity backed putter has a cavity back design, meaning there is a space cut out of the back allowing better weight distribution of the putter. For golfers looking for the best putters for beginners it gives a sweet spot which helps with accuracy.
How can I putt better?
There are lot of really useful videos and tutorials on the internet which wil guide you through the basics of the putting stroke. One we really like is this one below from Top Speed Golf which is particularly informative. Make sure to check them out and subscribe to their channel to get lots more useful content and tutorials.
There are many different types of golf putter available on the market these days, most of which are slight variations of mallet putter, blade putter or cavity putter.
When selecting a golf putter for yourself you should put into consideration the comfort, feel and the safety that a particular putter offers when playing on the green. You should try to test different types of golf putter before deciding on the best putter for beginners that suits your needs. It is even possible to have a putting lesson with a PGA qualified professional at your local club or golf centre.
Also, on your next purchase, carefully check the shape, length and weight distribution before buying. If you make the right choice then you are guaranteed to take many shots off your round and regularly beat your playing partners.
Continue learning more about golf and check out our Best 5 Golf Irons to further improve your game. Now you’re ready with the best Putter, why not check out our Guide to the Best Golf Accessories you need to have in your bag such as the 10 best beginner golf balls. We have even suggested the best value golf drivers to use.