So you are new to golf and looking for new golf balls, but you’re worried that you’ll lose them all by the forth hole? Welcome to the dilemma for the majority of high handicap and beginner golfers! In this guide we will help you navigate the wide variety of golf balls on the market to choose the best golf balls for high handicappers. We have personally tested many top brands and have fine tuned our list to the best 6 golf balls. We’ve also made sure that in our list these are affordable golf balls, so it won’t break the bank if you drop a couple in the water during your next round!
What are the best golf balls for high handicappers?
- Callaway Super Soft (Best for Short Game)
- Titleist Velocity
- Vice Pro Soft (Best all rounder)
- TaylorMade Distance
- Srixon AD 333
- Volvic Crystal (Best for Distance)
The 6 Best golf balls for High Handicappers – The Detail
- Excellent soft feel, great for your short game and around greens.
- We didn’t lose any distance off the tee by using a soft ball.
- Very durable and the cover didn’t scuff easily
- Great price, much better value for money than other big brands in golf balls.
- Great at adding extra distance to your shots.
- Very durable, hardly a mark after playing a round with these balls.
- We found the ball trajectory was higher when using the Titleist.
- Good control around the greens and it stopped easily.
- Provides excellent distance from the tee.
- Gave a really soft feel on our short shots into the green, very good control.
- The price of the Vice golf balls is extremely competitive.
- They feel great off the putter well and make a nice sound when hit.
- Available in a variety of different colors and styles, very cool!
For a closer look at the Vice Golf Ball range if your looking for the best golf ball for high handicappers why not check out our recent test of their Variety Pack golf balls, see our video below.
- They are really responsive and have a soft contact when on the green to help improve putting.
- Srixon were excellent for distance and were very long from the tee.
- These had very good control around the green and from 60 yards they were very responsive with wedge shots.
- Not as durable in test than the other brands we tried out.
- As it says on the box this gave exceptional distance on all shots.
- A high spin ball with a very soft feel.
- Amazing value for the performance the TaylorMade provide to your game.
- Also available in yellow and are excellent golf ball for high handicappers.
- These were really, really long from the tee. Excellent for distance.
- Surprisingly receptive for a firm ball.
- One of the best golf balls for high handicappers.
- Good around the green, the matte finish helps with control.
- The line and arrow on the ball really help when lining up your putts.
- The bright colors make them really easy to follow in the air, and find in the trees!
Do golf balls make a difference for beginners?
If you’re serious about wanting to improve your game and reduce your handicap or score you must choose your golf balls carefully. Golf balls are just as important as choosing the best fitting golf irons. Beginners should not choose the most expensive golf balls as they might lose a few during a round. However, choosing the best golf ball for high handicappers and beginners can help your game, and improve your score little by little each time you play.
Do softer golf balls go further?
This is one of the most common questions we get asked. Studies have shown that soft balls spin less when hit by a golf club, which means they should travel further. However, if you have a fast swing with speed of over 100mph you might find a drop off in distance when using a softer golf ball. When looking for the best golf ball for high handicappers there are some very firm golf balls on the market which have excellent distance, such as the Volvic Crystal. The challenge is in finding a ball which go further but also have good control around the greens.
We recently tested out the Callaway Super Soft Golf Balls, have a look at the video below for a closer look.
Our overall best golf ball for high handicappers was the Vice Pro Soft. This golf ball not only gave us increased distance off the tee, it also provided excellent control around the green. The spin we were able to generate from within 60 yards was excellent in comparison to the other balls we tested.
We would highly recommend this golf ball for high handicappers, the play ability, but also due to the price. The Vice range of golf balls are very affordable and are perfectly suited towards the higher handicap golfer. Test them out and let us know what you think in the comments below?